Hey, new stuff!
(If you’re reading via RSS, you really need to head over here.)
So, it’s a new design. That only took, what, four years? The last month or so of delays was mostly because I couldn’t get the headers to be in the right font (DejaVu Sans) too easily. I ended up using sIFR 3 for it, but despite it being a completely free (in both senses) font, Linux is the only major operating system to include it by default. So, I ended up using sIFR. We’ll see how it works, and I’ll decide whether the fraction-of-a-second increase in page load times is worth it. I think so, but any comments would be appreciated.
The layout itself is a bit complicated, and I spent a week or so working on the CSS to get it to work in various browsers. Interestingly, it does appear to work (mostly) in most browsers (recent versions of Firefox, Safari, Opera, and (eek) Internet Explorer are all fine). The ground along the bottom rises up on short pages in Internet Explorer 6, but not 5.5 or 7. (Though, really, if you’re using Internet Explorer, you should at least upgrade to version 7, or preferably Firefox, or even Safari.)
The images for the layout were created using entirely free software, mostly the GIMP (on Ubuntu). Anything that looks hand-drawn actually is hand-drawn, using a Wacom Bamboo Fun (except the dirt and vine, as those had to be tiled, so those are Bezier curves).
So, if something in the layout seems out of place, or horribly wrong in general, please leave me a comment and let me know so I can investigate. Mention which browser you’re using, and which operating system, if possible. Thanks!